Friday, September 21, 2007

Pumpkin Custard



So it's gotten warm again here, despite the chill last week. However, I did all my shopping when it was cold, so my foods for the week reflected that. The weather was putting me in the mood for pumpkin - in fact, I had a pumpkin soup lined up that I didn't get around to.

Anyhow, I've been eating this ridiculously easy custard for breakfast all week, and it's been a real treat. It's healthy, but it tastes decadent (and a lot like pumpkin pie). I especially like the kick the cayenne pepper gives without standing out too much.

Pumpkin Custard adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe

1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
3/4 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup orange juice
16 oz can of pumpkin
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Stir together sugar, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in pumpkin, milk, orange juice and eggs. Divide among 6 ramikins.

Set ramikins in a high-walled pan. Pour in an inch of boiling water. Bake until firm around the edges and slightly puffed, about 40 minutes. Remove from water bath, cool completely and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment