Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Watermelon Salad


My birthday dinner this year, like last year, was lobsters on the deck at my family’s Cape house. Our deck looks out over a beautiful fresh water estuary – I could sit out there all day (in fact, I did spend my whole birthday out there, enjoying Breaking Dawn and iced coffee). So I always look forward to having lobsters out on the deck at least once during the summer.

I threw together this salad to sate a craving for watermelon and because I was looking for something that was both sweet and savory to serve alongside the sweet lobsters. I love the sweet mixture of sweet watermelon, peppery arugula, clean-tasting parsley, salty olives, sharp onion (soak slices in cold water for a few minutes to lessen the impact), creamy cheese, tart lime, and unctuous olive oil. All the measurements below are rough; proportion the ingredients as you see fit.

Watermelon Salad

3 cups arugula
1 cup parsley leaves
2 cups watermelon, cut into bite-size pieces
6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
Red onion, sliced as thinly as possible (about 1/6 of an onion)
Feta cheese (about 3 ounces, crumbled)
Juice of 1 lime
Olive oil

In a wide, shallow bowl, toss together the arugula and parsley. Top with watermelon, olives, onion, and feta. Squeeze lime juice over the salad, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss lightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment