Monday, September 3, 2007

Massachusetts Pizza Kitchen

Labor Day means grilling with friends, and this year I managed to commandeer the menu with something I've wanted to try for a long time - grilled pizza.

I don't have my own grill, and it's rare that I have the wherewithal to cart a whole slew of ingredients over to someone else's house, but being that it was a holiday, I went all out. Assuming that the grilling of the dough would work, I prepared 6 different sets of toppings - because I'm crazy. There was a lot of prep work to this, but only because there were 6 different kinds - if there had only been 1 or 2, it would have been a cinch.


My roommate did all the actual grilling as I hovered and directed. We used Trader Joe's packaged pizza dough for ease - 1 bag of wheat dough and 2 of herb & garlic. Each dough was halved and then shaped to form the 6 pies. Each dough was brushed with olive oil, then placed oil side down on the grill for about 5 minutes. He also brushed the grill itself with plenty of olive oil to prevent sticking, and he says this was vitally important.


Once they were half-cooked and off the grill, I topped the cooked side with the toppings before the pizza was transfered back to the grill. Luckily, with the two upper grill racks, there was room enough for all 6 pizzas to be on at once. We rotated the pizzas around to make sure they all got evenly cooked, and the top was closed for a few minutes to allow the heat to really bake the pizzas.

I was so happy with how these turned out, and they were surprisingly easy to put together. I know this will show up again next summer, and I'll be spreading the love of grilled pizza to whatever barbeques I go to.


Thai pizza with homemade peanut sauce, shrimp, carrots, scallions and mozzarella on wheat dough.


Pizza with caramelized red onions and grilled green pepper with mozzarella on garlic & herb dough.


Mexican pizza with salsa, black beans, shredded chicken, and Mexican-blend cheese on wheat dough.


Margherita pizza with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella on garlic & herb dough.


Greek pizza with tomatoes, feta and olives on garlic & herb dough.


Pizza with brie, green apple and honey on garlic & herb dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment